8th Christchurch (Burton) Registration Number 24760
In the August and September 1923 editions of “The Scouter” it stated that a warrant as Scoutmaster had been issued to Rev P. Sexty and as Assistant Scoutmaster to E. Dennett, both with Burton Parish Troop. This indicates that the Troop was already open at that time but no record of their original registration can be found. The Rev P. Sexty was the Vicar of Burton for just a short time and a processional cross in the Church was donated by him and bears his name. In 1925 the warrants held in the Group were both cancelled suggesting that it had closed, but in August 1933 “The Scouter” states that warrants had been issued to Rev. R.H.W. Roberts (Vicar of Burton) as Group Scoutmaster and to E.H. Holroyd as Scoutmaster. The Group continued until 1937 when it is reported the Troop closed down because of a lack of leaders.
In May 1938 a meeting was called to see if Scouting could be re-started in the village – the District Commissioner Brig. Gen. Browne was present. It was decided to form a Troop, so a meeting was arranged for June 7th 1938 for any boys who would like to become Scouts. 17 boys came to the meeting and in September of that year all 17 passed their tenderfoot tests. Their uniform was to be blue shorts, khaki shirts, blue stockings with green rings and green scarves. The Group was registered in August 1938 as Number 19590 13th Christchurch (Avon Valley) with their Headquarters listed as Burton and R.W. Young as Scoutmaster with 16 Scouts. In December of that year Major Lake became the Scoutmaster with Mr. A. Hutchings as Assistant. It is reported that members of the armed forces may have been involved in keeping the Group running during the war. In September 1940 the Group acquired their first Scout hut for the sum of £5 plus £2 haulage, which was erected in Winkton Lodge the home of Mr Eggerton.
After the war, in September 1946, the Group was again registered at Headquarters as 8th Christchurch (Burton) Number 24760. The County Register lists Captain H.C. Gibson as Scoutmaster and G.H.P. Evans (who later became the District Commissioner) as Cubmaster. It is reported that meetings were held in the Coach House Garage in Martins Hill Lane, which belonged to Captain Gibson and then in 1953 Burton took over the Sopley Group’s Scout hut and moved it to the recreation ground in Martins Hill Lane. This was used until 1970 when it was replaced by the present building.
In 1976 a Venture Unit was started with Peter Lack as leader and 9 Venture Scouts. Unfortunately this Unit only lasted for about 6 years. 1986 saw the formation of a Beaver Colony with Sue Dare as it’s leader.